Friday 30 November 2012

Mijn Australische lente - My Australian Spring


Zo verbaasd, ze doen het toch!
So surprised, but they are growing!

Zo rond begin oktober kregen mijn collega's en ik spontaan een doosje met tulpenbollen in onze postvakjes. Nu kun je die natuurlijk braaf in je tuintje planten, maar ik was diezelfde week dit idee op Pinterest tegengekomen en mijn handen jeukten om het zelf ook te doen. Daarnaast was ik eind september de herfst al zat en heb ik uit protest stug zaadjes geplant en mijn vensterbank tot Australië verklaard, want daar was het toen al lente!

Just like that, my colleagues and I found boxes with tulip bulbs in our pigeonholes early October. Of course the best thing to do is to plant them in your garden, but in the same week I came across this idea on Pinterest and I couldn't wait to try it myself. Besides, I was already done with autumn by the end of September and that's why I planted seeds in pots out of protest and declared my windowsill Australia, since it was already spring there anyway!





Eigenlijk hebben tulpen een koude periode nodig om uit te lopen, maar dat las ik pas twee weken nadat ik ze geplant had. Nog even getwijfeld om ze weer op te graven en in de koelkast te gooien, maar mijn schildklier speelde op, waardoor ik te moe was en de bollen stonden vergeten in de vensterbank.

Supposedly, tulips need a cold period to sprout, but I didn't read that bit of information until two weeks after I had planted them. So, I doubted for a few seconds to dig them up again and to chuck them in the refrigerator, but my thyroid flared up which made me too tired and the tulips stood forgotten in the windowsill.

Lente in de herfst, originally uploaded by DutchAstrid.

Tot ik ze dinsdag weer zag en tot mijn stomme verbazing zag ik groen! Net nu ik me ook weer wat beter begin te voelen, worden de bollen ook wakker en daar word ik zooo blij van!

Until I saw them again on Tuesday and low and behold, I saw green! The bulbs have awakened just around the same time I am starting to feel better again, which cheers me to no end!

Dikke merel, originally uploaded by DutchAstrid.

En terwijl ik dit allemaal opschrijf vreet onze huismerel deze struik helemaal kaal. Stiekem toch een beetje herfst... .

And while I'm writing this, our house blackbird is devouring these berries. Secretly a bit of autumn anyway... .

No comments:

Post a Comment